Excel Academy Charter Schools, High School Dean of Curriculum & Instruction (2018-2019) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 2-Jan-2018
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 960 students in grades 5-10. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Dean of Curriculum & Instruction will be responsible for overseeing the curricular and instructional programming for the school. This will include: directly managing the school’s instructional program; supporting the management of instructional staff by providing regular feedback to teachers on their effectiveness in meeting the needs of Excel’s instructional program; and designing and delivering professional development to push the strength and impact of the instructional program. Roles and responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Observe teachers daily, conducting formal as well as informal observations. Provide ongoing feedback to teachers on instructional delivery and structure substantive feedback for more significant areas of growth;
- Meet with teachers weekly to plan units, examine assessments and student data, and provide feedback on instruction and curriculum design ;
- Set weekly instructional goals for teachers and design an observation schedule to provide feedback on teachers’ progress in meeting those goals;
- Contribute to all Excel staff member’s evaluations and attend evaluation meetings with instructional staff;
- Oversee curriculum development and student assessment-related systems;
- Manage special education and ELL inclusion program, working with the Learning Specialist, ELL Specialist and core academic teachers to design inclusion, monitor the effectiveness of inclusion, and provide feedback and support to create a high quality inclusion program;
- Develop and lead instructional professional development and attend Network-wide professional development sessions;
- Implement effective internal assessment systems to monitor academic progress of students throughout the year and implement and oversee systems for data analysis of all internal and external assessments;
- Seek and share curriculum and best practices with others schools in the Excel network;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community and Administrative Team;
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred;
- A minimum of five years’ teaching experience is required; experience working in a high-performing, urban public charter or district school is strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated efficacy in raising academic achievement for low-income, urban students;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: High School Dean of Curriculum & Instruction
Location: Excel Academy Charter High School
Reports to: Head of School
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!