Excel Academy Charter Schools, High School Assistant Dean of Students (2018-2019) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 2-Jan-2018
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 1100+ students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
Excel Academy High School is seeking a strong Assistant Dean of Students who will work closely with the Dean of Students, the Head of School and the Dean of Operations to design and implement strong core behavior and character education programs that foster positive school culture and that promote academic excellence. The Assistant Dean of Students will assist in the management and oversight of all aspects of school culture. Specific responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Management of the Dean’s office, including supporting students referred for disciplinary actions, investigating incidents that violate school culture norms, and determining and executing appropriate next steps;
- Serving as a supportive case manager for students struggling with behavior or attendance issues;
- Supporting schoolwide behavior systems and expectations through maintenance of disciplinary database;
- Serving as point person for students and families regarding all disciplinary actions and/or other school culture issues;
- Coordinating and facilitating meetings with students and families;
- Consistently upholding our code of conduct and uniform policy; and
- Managing lunch and after school detention
- A Bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of three years of experience in an urban public high school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- Strong strategic thinking skills with clear and nuanced understanding of the impact that different approaches have on organizational culture and performance;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: High School Assistant Dean of Students
Campus/Location: Excel Academy High School