Excel Academy Charter Schools, English Language Learning (ELL) Fellow (Immediate Opening) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 20-Sep-2017
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a growing network of high-performing charter schools dedicated to closing the achievement gap in the Boston area. The network currently operates three middle schools in East Boston and Chelsea and a high school in East Boston. For 6 years in a row, Excel 8th graders have been the top-performers of all 450 Massachusetts public district and charter schools on the MCAS exams.
Duties and Responsibilities
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent high-quality feedback on their practice.
The English Language Learning (ELL) Fellow will be responsible for ensuring that a caseload of ELL students make significant academic gains through small group classroom instruction as well as additional out-of-class and classroom (i.e. inclusion) support. With the support of the ELL team, the ELL Fellow will support administrative/ regulatory aspects of the ELL program. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teach an ELD History replacement course;
- Provide inclusion support in English Language Acquisition courses;
- Provide additional inclusion support, as needed; and
- Regularly assess students’ progress and use assessment data to drive instructional choices
- Advise teachers on modifying and/or accommodating curriculum for ELL students on your caseload
- Support the management of the ELL program including, but not limited to: completing of necessary paperwork, management of parent and student communications, executing of student testing/screening, and upholding of general Department of Education compliance requests.
- Align student support services with the school’s mission and educational philosophy;
- Enforce school-wide systems and procedures to effectively manage the classroom;
- Continually communicate with students and families regarding academic and behavior performance and progress;
- Serve as an academic advisor; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required;
- A minimum of one year of experience in an urban public or charter school setting is preferred, but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: English Language Learning (ELL) Fellow / English as a Second Language (ESL) Fellow
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!