Excel Academy Charter Schools, Dean of Operations (2018-2019) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 22-Feb-2018
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 960 students in grades 5-10. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Dean of Operations at Excel Academy Charter High School will work closely with the Head of School to ensure the success of the school as it expands to full scale in grade 9-12. This role will serve as the leader of the school Operations Team, and will directly manage and oversee all aspects of school operations. Additionally, the Dean of Operations will be asked to take on projects that support the continued improvement in school operations, school culture, and programs. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Plan and implement school initiatives together with school leaders;
- Support development and execution of school-wide goals and priorities;
- Lead staff operations culture;
- Directly manage and support school Operations staff to implement daily school operations systems with excellence;
- Collaborate with school leadership and the school’s College Access team to ensure school operational systems support college readiness and college access efforts
- Manage high-stakes projects and systems including:
- Create and maintain work plans to ensure the school Operations team meets annual, cyclical, and project-based deadlines;
- Create and manage staff schedules;
- Oversee the school’s IT infrastructure;
- Manage standardized testing (interim assessments, state exams, diagnostic tests);
- Oversee data entry, ensure integrity and accurate reporting of data; Perform data analysis to support school initiatives;
- Oversee management of the school facility; ensure the appearance of the facility reflects the high expectations we hold for students;
- Manage vendor relationships;
- Maintain financial records and quality controls; support school leaders with budget development.
- Serve as a productive member of Network-wide Operations Department and the Excel community.
- A Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of four years of experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- Strong strategic thinking skills with clear and nuanced understanding of the impact that different approaches have on organizational culture and performance;
- Systematic and structured approach to project management with a demonstrated ability to carry out multiple high-priority projects in parallel;
- Fluency with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets;
- The ability to speak Spanish is preferred but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & program.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: Dean of Operations
Reports to: Head of School