Excel Academy Charter Schools, Associate Director of College & Career Counseling (2018-2019) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 2-Jan-2018
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 1100+ students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
Members of the College Access and Post-Secondary Success Department at Excel are responsible for supporting our students to matriculate to and find success in their chosen productive post-secondary-path. We guide students in the process of aligning their identity with opportunities and then support them to set and achieve their own post-secondary goals. Staff who thrive here tend to be entrepreneurial and have a great deal of passion and expertise in this field that they are eager to share with students. This role will be founding member of our College and Career Counseling Office and will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
1. College and Career Counseling
- Provides individualized support to a caseload of roughly 50 students in setting post-secondary goals and navigating all aspects of the post-secondary planning process, including:
- Tracks and maintains database of student data, admission decisions, outcomes, and other program metrics
- Plans and executes college trips
- Teach weekly Grade Level Seminar courses to high school students
- Provides information and support for families of students on caseload in understanding the post-secondary planning landscape including admissions and financial aid processes
- Keeps parents informed through one-on-one meetings, regular communications, and periodic parent information events
- Advocates for students with college admissions and financial aid offices
- Introduces our program to colleges and universities and fosters partnerships
- Arranges for college representatives to visit our campus and facilitates meetings between college representatives and students
- Stays current on issues and trends in college access and post-secondary success and contributes to network-wide understanding of the field
- Collaborates and communicates with current scholarship, CBO, and Higher Ed partners and seeks out new partnerships with local and national organizations
- Serves as a productive member of the Excel Academy community
- Does whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred;
- A minimum of two years of experience in field required
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- Experience working in a high school college and career counseling office or in a college admissions office strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience building advising relationship with high-school age students
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: Associate Director of College & Career Counseling